The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), requires business to comply with the statutory requirements aimed at protecting personal information. CBCL Limited recognizes the right of individuals to privacy with respect to their personal information and is committed to the principles of PIPEDA which govern the use of personal information.
1. Personal Information
“Personal information” means any information, about an identifiable individual.
Aggregated information about a group of individuals that does not enable identification of an individual person does not fall within the scope of “personal information”. The name, title or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization is not considered to be “personal information”.
2. Collection and Use of Personal Information
The types of personal information of clients and potential clients that we collect and use depends on the information and services that are being requested. Subject to applicable laws, personal information may include:
- Name, address, email address, contact details, nature of the client or potential client’s project, financial, credit, billing and account information, and other accompanying information relating to the request for service;
- Information material to the client’s project, including financial information, tax information, property information, or other information a client may give us in order for us to provide services for the client;
- Information contained in communications between us and the client, including electronic communications; and
- Information that we may collect with the consent of the client or as permitted by law.
We generally collects personal information for the following limited purposes:
- To determine whether we can enter into a professional relationship with you;
- With respect to the collection and use of your personal information, to provide services or information to you;
- To establish and maintain client and general mailing lists;
- To communicate with you to inform you of developments, new services, or seminars and events put on by us;
- To ensure your satisfaction with our services;
- For administration, billing, accounting, auditing and collection purposes in relation to you or your business and your relationship to us;
- Through our website, for the purposes of tracking (for internal marketing and security purposes) access to and usage of our web site; and
- To fulfill our professional obligations.
CBCL Limited generally will obtain personal information directly from you or through its interaction with you. Personal information may also be obtained from other sources where they have information that is relevant to the matter for which you have engaged our services. Third-party sources may include a government agency, a third-party such as financial institution, insurance agent, or other businesses that may have provided services to you.
You may withdraw your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information, subject to certain limitations. If you do so, we may not be able to continue to do business with you. The withdrawal of consent does not apply retroactively to information that may already have been disclosed.
4. Disclosure of Your Personal Information
Disclosure of your personal information to a third party may occur under certain circumstances such as:
- In order to provide services on your behalf and in accordance with your instructions; including to an expert or consultant engaged on your behalf, to an agent retained to act or assist us on your behalf;
- When you have instructed us to disclose your personal information to a third party for a specified purpose or where we reasonably believe that a third party requesting your information is your agent;
- To subcontractors or agents in the course of a contract for services for us, such as data processing or storage of client files;
- To provide information as required by our professional body and liability insurers;
- To establish or collect monies owing to CBCL Limited, such as to a collection agency or financial institution; and
- Where you have consented or as permitted by law.
We do not sell, barter, trade or give away your personal information to third parties, without your consent.
5. Maintaining Your Personal Information
CBCL Limited stores and maintains personal information in conformity with the principles of the PIPEDA and the Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information created and approved by the Canadian Standards Association (“CSA Code”).
You can request access to your personal information held by us. However, we reserve the right to confirm the identity of the person seeking access to personal information before complying with any access requests. Please forward your access request to our Chief Privacy Officer at the address set out below.
Upon request, we will inform you if we have any of your personal information in our care and control, as well as providing you with details of such personal information. In responding to your request, CBCL Limited reserves the right to charge you a reasonable fee.
6. Chief Privacy Officer
Our Chief Privacy Officer may be contacted in writing or by e-mail at the address listed below:
Chief Privacy Officer
1505 Barrington Street – Suite 901
PO Box 606
Halifax, NS B3J 2R7